Sunday, September 23, 2012

9-22-12

So once again, not a horribly exciting week. I’ve been lazy the whole week since I didn’t really have any tests or anything. I do have a test on next Tuesday I need to study for, but I’m not super worried about it. I blame my laziness on the drugs. The really bad feeling of being “off” and having my head be all fuzzy only lasted until Tuesday. Since then, I’ve still been getting some headaches, I’ve been super tired, and my concentration is just a little weird. It’s gotten better as the week’s gone on, but my memory’s just not quite what it usually is. Hopefully that will go away before my test. I’d almost describe it like I can’t hold onto my thoughts. They’re just like softer and less substantial than they usually are, and if I try to focus on a particular one it just kinda drifts away. That’s gotten better as the week’s gone on too. I read somewhere that most of those kind of side effects are only for a week or two, and then you start getting the antidepressant effects you want. I might be getting those a little already, though. I just can’t get in a mopey mood. A couple times this week it’s been like my brain wants to get into a little bout of depression, but it just won’t come. It’s like trying to walk through a screen door not realizing it’s still closed. It’s not a bad thing I can’t get into a proper depressed mood, but it just feels super weird. The sexual side effects are supposed to kick in later on if you happen to get them, so I haven’t noticed any of them yet. Oh, well. If I do get them, it won’t necessarily be a bad thing. I’m single, with no prospects of that changing, and a lower sex drive wouldn’t be a bad thing necessarily.
                Friday was also my first day of tutoring. I was supposed to meet with two groups of two kids for bio II and chem II. The Bio girls went fine, though one had to leave early. I stayed late with the other one, though, so it worked out. The chem kids, the guy was on time, but the girl was caught at work, so the guy signed the sheet that I’d tutored him, and we left (they’d just had a test, so they didn’t really have any material to go over). I get paid if the kids don’t show up, too, so I’m not really mad the girl couldn’t come.
                So today I was catching up on reading for my test on Tuesday. I camped out in the library. Vee stayed until she had to go to work, and Zee stopped by and caught up on his reading all afternoon too. I didn’t finish, quite, so I’m going to have to do that tomorrow, even though the book isn’t really helpful compared to lecture. All the info in it that wasn’t in the lecture was either stuff the professor didn’t agree with or so specific the professor doesn’t care. Oh, well, I’ll finish reading anyway. I think I’m meeting Zee to study some more tomorrow, after I do some volunteer thing with Vee. This class might be a good chance to get to know Zee more. We’ve never talked a lot in the past. It’s interesting to get to know him a little.
                And finally, to end with a mini-rant: I am fucking sick of chemistry majors looking down on biology so much. They literally view it as a lesser science. They think it’s all about memorizing and regurgitating useless facts. I know it’s because they’ve only had the lowest level courses. Low level chemistry is all problems, but low level bio is all just setting up the basis for upper courses with stuff you have to know. Though Bio II did already have some more of the taking the examples we learned in class and applying it to another system. A lot of upper level biology classes have questions about interpreting experimental data and saying what the results say about the system. Biology relies on experiments that are as well set up as possible, just like chemistry, just like any science. It’s not a lesser science just because you didn’t like your high school biology class. Anyway. I hope all you non-existent readers have a wonderful week. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment